The power of mobile | Weekly Roundup
- It’s been quite a week for social media, as the online community reacts and responds to the devastation in Haiti. If you’re looking for information or ways to help, Mark Glaser has compiled a comprehensive list of resources and opportunities on Mediashift.
- Donations through mobile platforms have been pouring in this week in support of the disaster relief efforts, setting records along the way. Text-to-give campaigns, like the one set up by the Red Cross within hours of the earthquake (text “Haiti” to 90999 to give $10), brought in a grand total of over $7 million in less than two days.
- If these recent developments in mobile giving have started you thinking about how to use text messaging in your organization’s next fundraising campaign, check out this handy how-to from Allyson Kapin on what’s involved in setting up a mobile campaign.
- This past Monday was Beth Kanter’s birthday (for those of you who don’t know, Beth is a nonprofit social media guru extraordinaire). In celebration, fellow bloggers threw her an online surprise party, inspiring some interesting takeaways about crowdsourced action from Amy Sample Ward. Happy birthday, Beth!
- Do you FourSquare? The location-based social networking service has been growing by leaps and bounds in recent months, so if you’re feeling inspired to explore some new frontiers for nonprofits in social media, Nonprofit Tech 2.0 has has a few tips. (My colleague Farra and I are in a heated race to be mayor of Big Duck. I’m winning. For now…)
A weekly roundup of interesting reads from the online world of nonprofit communications. Check out my Delicious bookmarks for more noteworthy links.